Smoked Beef Brisket
<< Back [ Print Recipe ]
- 1 (24 oz) beef brisket
- 2 Tbsp. MJ’s smokey BBQ rub or other commercial rub
- 4 cups hickory, apple, or pecan wood chips, soaked for 30 minutes
MJ’s Smokey BBQ Rub
- 2 Tbsp. smoked paprika
- 1 Tbsp. black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp. ground chipotle or cayenne
Mix and keep in a small jar for up to 6 months.
- Rub brisket all over with rub. Place on a dish and let rest at room temperature about an hour or cover and refrigerate for up to 8 hours.
- Remove grate from one side of gas grill. Heat grill to medium high. Heat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Loosely wrap wood chips in double thickness of foil making a packet with the top left open. Place chip packet directly on coals or gas burners.
- Place brisket, fat side up on grill. Close and grill 5 minutes, turn, cover and grill another 5 minutes or until well browned and blackened in spots. Watch for flare ups and reduce heat if needed. Remove beef from grill and wrap in foil. Roast in oven for an additional 2 hours or until very tender. (OR continue grill fully wrapped roast with indirect heat an additional 2 hours) Let rest, wrapped, about 20 minutes, then slice across the grain and serve on buns with your favorite BBQ sauce.